Warning: Use of undefined constant REQUEST_URI - assumed 'REQUEST_URI' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /www1/792/www.completeforensics.org.uk/web/wp-content/themes/herald/functions.php on line 73 WorldSkills UK – Complete Forensics C.I.C.
WorldSkills UK Competitions deliver a number of qualities that students might need to emphasise and demonstrate before they move into the workplace. Once demonstrated these can be highlighted on a CV and the employer, or prospective employer, will know that the person applying for the role will have been tested under extreme pressure in areas of employability as well as industry standard skills common to the forensic science workplace.The job description below outlines the requirements for a role offered in July 2016. The role is an apprenticeship and as you can see an employee does not need to have a degree, nor A Levels. In fact, the basic qualifications asked for are 5 GCSE’s in Grade C or above.
What is important for this employer is the ability for new starters to understand how the company works. To be able to manage their time and be a strong team player, although the ability to work on your own is often a required point as well.
Have a look through the requirements and see how they can be evidenced to an employer. Then look hard at the WorldSkills UK competition and realise this is a completely free way to achieve and evidence those skills on a National level.
Your school, college or university will provide the leaning and knowledge but many teach without any idea of the actual industry. Our competition is open to anyone in college and university. Registration opens on 1 March each year and closes on the 7 April.
The first step you have to take is to register. From then on hang on for the ride and excel now to improve your employability later.
A message for all university and college students. The job description below is real. School students are now competing for the same roles you are.
Time to up your game and show (for free) that you are the best in the UK.
The WorldSkills UK Forensic Science competition is free to enter*.
Job Description from 2017
An exciting opportunity to learn and become competent in a range of skills that support two teams within our Forensic and Security division. The successful applicant will be trained in laboratory techniques such as basic examination skills and DNA analysis.
They will also have opportunity to contribute to the success of the team in various key areas including – Laboratory Technician, Casework Administration and Submissions functions. This is an excellent career development opportunity within a fast growing, high paced life sciences company.
You will be supported by Team Leader and a mentor who will ensure that your training and development plan is suited to your needs and that you are able to get maximum benefit from your 18 month apprenticeship. As many of our previous apprentices are employed in our teams they will be available to assist you and help with your learning experience.
· DNA extraction, PCR set up using the latest laboratory automation
· Follow Standard Operating Procedures at all times
· Successful completion of technical certificate
· Successful completion of the National Vocational Qualification
Forensics and Security Apprentices entering into this role will need to practice their work within Standard Operating Procedures and comply with all Group, Divisional and Departmental policies and procedures applicable to their role. This particular role will also require the individual to meet the academic and vocational elements of the apprenticeship framework, attending where possible, all lectures and NVQ observations.
A Forensic apprentice will need to demonstrate the highest levels of customer service to both internal and external clients, good communication skills are essential as is a focus on delivering work in a timely and accurate manner. All aspects of the Apprentices work will need to be delivered to the highest quality without exception and so the ability to plan and organise daily tasks will be essential.
Required Knowledge, Experience and Technical Skills:
· Minimum of 5 GCSE’s at grade C or above to include English, Maths, ICT and Science
· Willingness to learn new skills and quickly take on board information
Preferred Knowledge, Experience and Technical Skills:
· AS level in science an advantage but not essential
· Basic laboratory experience at school/college
· Basic Microsoft Office skills – Word, Excel, PowerPoint
· Attention to detail and accuracy of work
· Flexibility to changing operating conditions
· An ability to work methodically and reliably
· Strong team player
· A professional and mature approach to work
· Hard working
· A real desire to work in science sector
* There is an administration charge if you register for the WorldSkills UK competition and do not turn up. The same charge can apply if you withdraw within five days of the competition heat date without a good reason. To withdraw (which is a free process) please see the terms and conditions or ring Complete Forensics. Do not rely on your lecturer to inform us.