Murder x 6 – Police did very well, Suspects not so…
This report below is in relation to the murder of six women in Barbados a short while ago.
The Police have done a great job and caught the two men who now have their pictures plastered all over the internet and media.
If they destroyed evidence because of this they were stupid men because if it was me I would have destroyed any evidence sooner, but as the CoP states there are systems in place in Barbados (does not state if that is CCTV?) and they retrieved a substantial amount of evidence from the crime scene. We hope they did recover it, and properly too…
But well done to ALL the officers in getting a quick result.
That’s how Commissioner of Police Darwin Dottin yesterday described the two young St Michael men, who have been charged with the murder of six young women who died in the Campus Trendz fire at Tudor Street, The City, two Friday nights ago.
At a Press conference carried live by television and radio, Dottin also said there was strong evidence against Jamar Dewayne Orlando Bynoe, 19, of Headley’s Land, Bank Hall and Renaldo Anderson Alleyne, 21, of Prescod Bottom, Hindsbury Road.
The men, who are expected to appear in the District “A” Magistrates’ Court today, are also charged with wounding Campus Trendz employees with intent, and with arson of the popular clothing store.
They are also charged with aggravated burglary and arson of the Chicken Galore outlet at Bank Hall, St Michael, on August 13.
Dottin noted that he had to be fairly conservative about what he said about the two men so as not to prejudice their trials.
Reflecting on the tragedy and eventual arrests, Dottin said the past week had been filled with anxiety.
He said that to this end, unknown to the public, certain systems were put in place in and around Bridgetown.
The top cop also said the posting of a picture in the public domain had led to the perpetrators knowing that the police were on their trail.
“It actually forewarned the perpetrators that we were after them, and so this led to the destruction of some evidence.
“That is not fatal to our case . . . there is other available evidence that is adequate to prove our case,” he added.
The police chief noted that contrary to earlier media reports, the crime scene at Tudor Street, The City, where the six women lost their lives, was not contaminated but provided “very vital evidence”.
Dottin also dispelled rumours that investigators had received help from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to solve the crime.
Proud of his team
Saying he felt very proud about the investigative team, which was drawn from various sections of the force, the chief also had high praise for the response received from the public and assistance of experts from the private sector.
“I want to thank Barbadians for their overwhelming support . . . and I commend a couple of Barbadian citizens who provided technical services to our investigators which proved quite crucial,” he said.
Meanwhile, a large crowd gathered at the Tudor Street, The City scene, where the two accused men were taken by police investigators shortly after midday.
Some hurled expletives at them and one man, who did not want to disclose his name, told lawmen to release the two into his custody.
“Just leave them here with we and we would do the rest,” he commented, as he lamented that one of the victims who died in the tragedy was his “personal friend”.
Barbadians islandwide have been paying their respects to the young women who lost their lives in the September 3 tragedy.
The victims are Kellishaw Olliviere, 24, of Wellington Street, The City; Shanna Griffith, 18, of Pile Bay, Spring Garden, St Michael; Pearl Amanda Cornelius, 18, of London Bourne Towers, The City; Kelly-Ann Welch, 24, of Montrose, Christ Church; Tiffany Harding, 23, of Upper Collymore Rock, St Michael; and Nikkita Belgrave, 23, of Shop Hill, St Thomas.