Events from the Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences
Evaluation & Interpretation of Forensic Evidence & Casework Report (Statement) Writing Workshop
Date: 23-24 February Venue: University of Derby
The workshop is aimed primarily at teaching staff from HEIs but is open to any other interested parties within the forensic/legal arena. It is designed to develop a fundamental understanding for university lecturers of the evaluation of forensic evidence and develop how the Bayesian thinking can be applied to produce a logical and balanced interpretation of forensic evidence in a court of law.
To download a copy of the programme and booking form, please visit the website.
Forensics Europe Expo
Date: 21-22 April Venue: Olympia, London
The Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences is delighted that this year they are the official partner of Forensics Europe Expo. We will be hosting a dedicated 2-day conference programme – details of this will be available on the Society in due course. Further information on the event can be found on the dedicated website.
DNA Conference & Body Fluids Forum
Date: 29-30 April Venue: The Jury’s Inn Hotel, Birmingham
Call for abstracts – The Society is still accepting abstract submissions covering all forensic science disciplines including DNA, fingerprints and cyber forensics. Abstracts for oral and poster presentation should be submitted formally via our website. Closing date is 30 January 2015.
Fire Investigation Conference
Date: 21-22 September Venue: Leeds
Call for abstracts-We are currently seeking oral and poster presentations for our fire investigation programme and would be interested in offers within the following areas:
- Examples of effective fire investigation processes and best practice
- Fire/arson related research projects
- Effective inter-agency fire/arson working practices and reduction strategies
- Ignition sources – current trends
- Fire behaviour – design of structures and combustible materials
- Examples of fatal/serious injury fires
- Examples of fires of deliberate and accidental origin
- Scene and laboratory support services
Abstracts should be submitted via the website. Closing date is 31 March 2015.
Society’s Annual Autumn Conference & AGM
Dates: 5-6 November Venue: The Renaissance City Centre Hotel, Manchester
Call for abstracts-We welcome abstract submissions covering the many varying disciplines of forensic science, and research and development within those disciplines. For example this includes, but is not limited to, evaluation and interpretation, trace evidence, DNA, fingerprints, cyber forensics and anti-terrorism. We are specifically interested in accepting case studies, which can act as model examples of where issues were identified and lessons learned, so as to stimulate a series of interactive and enlightening workshops. It would be helpful if case studies and workshops could, within the main theme, cover and reflect topics and issues such as:
- Effective investigative processes
- Evaluation and interpretation of scientific evidence
- Location and identification of minute quantities of trace evidence
- Accident investigation and Scene reconstruction
- Recording at the scene and within the lab
- Mobile technology for scene and lab
Closing date is 30 April 2015. All submissions should be made via the website.